Friday, July 14, 2006

Dhrupad

I had to go to a concert last week. I picked up a couple of classical music CDs to get myself ready. Bought them more so as can't tolerate FM anymore in my car. Names of Pt Jasraj and Pt Rajan/Sajan Mishra on the cover helpde. I was pleasently surprised to see that they had few recitals by Gundecha brothers, whose concert I was to go. Once heard, I simply cant have enough of their listening. I must admit, they have the same trancendental quality as the illustrous other two mentinoed. To quote the host of the concert, to hear them is to witness a Tandava by the Lord himself.

And there was the divine voice of Shruti Shadolikar. I have been a listener of classical music since I can remember. But after Pt Jasraj and Pt Bhimsen Joshi, if there ever was a solo renedition that made me bow my head, it was "Har Har Deva" by this lady.

No comments: